Thursday, June 24, 2010

Bo, You will be missed and always loved

On Christmas Eve 2001, we found this little guy in a pet store at The Woodlands Mall.  I fell in love with him at once.  Knowing that the pet store was going to euthanize him due to his old age (only 9 months), Jon and I rescued him and brought him home.

Bo was..well it is hard to explain it in words.  He was one of a kind. 

He was loving.  He loved to be attached to someone’s hip.  His favorite place was next to Jon on the couch.  He was not a very playful dog.  Don’t get me wrong, he would have his moments of playing tug-a-war, but Bo was definitely a lap dog.

Bo had his issues.  He could clear out a room like no other dog.  Poor little guy barely had any teeth due to a major over-bight. By the time he was five, he had six teeth pulled and could barely hold on to a rope to play tug-a-war (but he tried).  At the age of seven, he had patellar problems and blew out his ACL. Oh and the ear infections and the allergies…And the barking, oh the barking at anything that came in our yard.

When I took Bo in due to a hacking cough, I knew that it was time.  I did not need the vet to tell me.  All he wanted to do was sleep in the middle of the hall.  Any activity and the poor little guy started hacking.  Knowing this did not make it any easier when I heard the news.  My plan was to take him home and feed him ice cream, a juicy t-bone (so that he could then hide the bone in our blankets) and to cuddle with him…to make up for the many times I yelled, “Bo be QUIET!” or the many times I neglected his needs because I was tired.  However, while driving back home, plans changed and I knew it was time.  So, I turned around and took him back to the vet. 

I had never put an animal down.  So, I did not know what to expect.  Bo felt so tiny in my arms (he wasn’t the plump 15lb Maltese that I knew).  He just laid his tiny face in my hands.  I think he knew and was ready.  The lifelessness I felt within seconds of the injection is something I will never forget.  However, there was a sense of peace with it. No wheezing to take a breath.  No more coughing attacks.  No pain.   Being in the room and holding Bo was one of the hardest things I have done.  I would not change it though.  Being there, holding him, comforting him and letting him know that I love him, gave me and my little Bo-Bo peace.

I love you Bo and you will be missed.

Kayla 047

1 comment:

Three Men and a Little Crazy said...

Oh, Amy. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. They are just as much a part of our families as our children. It sounds like you did the right thing, and I'm very proud of you for that. Hugs to you and your family.