Thursday, February 19, 2009

Tradition continues...

Some of my fondest memories growing up is the summers and spring breaks with my grandmother. We would spends hours together sewing outfits for me and my dolls. During those weeks, I would help cut out patterns, sew buttons on outfits and clean up afterwards. As I got older, I was eventually helping with the actual sewing portion. I leaned so much during those visits. I am not nearly as talented as my grandmother but I guess I have to start somewhere. So for Valentines this year I decided to make Christian and Kayla matching outfits. I wanted to make Kayla a dress but due to time constraints I opted for the fastest solution. I confess I bought simple white shirts, but I did applique (with Kayla's help) patterns with Valentine fabric on their shirts. (Kayla had hearts on her shirt and Christian a tie) Kayla had so much fun helping me and the two of them looked so cute together. Seeing how much Kayla enjoyed helping and watching me, I have decided to try and make both her and one of her dolls matching outfits just like my grandmother used to do for me. (I will be sure and post the outcome).

I just have to say, "Thank you Memaw for teaching me something so valuable and wonderful!" I hope that one day Kayla is sewing for her child and that the tradition continues.


No comments: