Thursday, March 12, 2009

First Weekend Away...

Kayla is off to visit my parents this weekend. This is the very first time she was away from both Jon and I for more than one night. In preparation for Kayla's big weekend, I made lists and I packed too much (Kayla had enough clothes for a week), and I turned into one of "those" over-protective, over-anxious mothers. The funniest and cutest part of the preparation was seeing Kayla get excited about going. Thursday night, I asked Kayla to help me pack her clothes. I let her pick the bag (of course it was pink). We packed her clothes (a week worth) and proceeded to bring it down stairs. Kayla insisted on packing one of her stuff animals. As we got downstairs with her bag, Kayla began packing more toys in her bag until it was too full to add anything else. So, we had to get another bag. Once she packed her blanket and paci, she picked up the bag and said she was ready to go. After explaining to her that we were not going to leave until tomorrow morning, I got Kayla to bed. The next morning, Kayla woke up with the biggest smile on her face. The first thing she did was pick up her bags and said, "Let's go Mommy." After getting dressed and packing more toys, we got on the road to meet Bitsy and Grandaddy. She gave me the biggest hug and kiss once we got to the meeting point. She then jumped in the car and did not look back.
I worried that Kayla would cry and refuse to go. I worried that once she got to the ranch that she would refuse nap time, howl at bedtime, not eat or drink enough, etc. I worried that she would miss Jon and me so much that she would be utterly inconsolable. I managed to call only once tonight. So far, things were going well. It hasn't been twelve hours since I dropped her off and I miss my little girl.

No comments: